Hall chimed in only on a few occasions, a contrast to the constant chatter now provided by color analysts. He also anchored coverage of major bowl games, golf tournaments, National Collegiate Athletic Association and National Invitation Tournament basketball, and baseball's World Series. Along the way he tried to follow the gridiron path of other western Pennsylvania young men. Touchdown, Green Bay!") After Sandy Koufaxstruck out his tenth hitter for the final out of the series, Scott stated "eve… The talk show had rotating hosts, including Scott one night a week, on the SportsAmerica Radio Network. He returned in 1965 and broadcast Packers games through their historic three-year championship run. . Scott, who lived in Edina, Minn., is survived by his wife, Bonnie, and four sons and a daughter from a previous marriage. (Through radio’s early decades, Stern and Ted Husing were as popular as any sportscaster in America has ever been.). He was paired with a young Pat Summerall as CBS's No. He did four Super Bowls for CBS, including the first two in 1967 and 1968. title game in 1967. Art Lund of the Campbell-Mithun advertising agency handled the Hamm’s account and had a relationship with people at Sports Network. In the last seven years, Scott had a triple bypass, a kidney transplant, knee surgery, two hip replacements and prostate cancer, said Sarah Janacek, his daughter-in-law. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. Paul Christman teamed with Scott until his death in March 1970, and then Pat Summerall became Scott’s partner. My primary concern was not making Ray Scott a household word,’ as he became exactly that.”. his one-time color commentator moved over a chair to do play-by-play, he popularly continued Scott’s wave of minimalism. As the team's play-by-play announcer, Scott broadcast Super Bowl I and II for CBS, along with the brutally cold "Ice Bowl" NFL championship game of 1967. . Ray Scott was the first modern day NFL television play-by-play announcer to let the picture suffice, more often than not. He happily took a back seat to what viewers saw on the screen. In January 1956 Scott was assigned to work with Bill Stern on the ABC telecast of the Sugar Bowl between Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. Other health issues, including triple-bypass heart surgery, a kidney failure that resulted in a transplant, knee surgery, and hip replacements, had plagued him in the 1990s, and Scott died in Minneapolis on March 23, 1998, at the age of 78. “I tried to play,” he told Reusse in 1996, “and was kindly told by several coaches that I was lacking speed, size, and ability. His first job in broadcasting, in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, included other duties, including writing copy and selling radio time to sponsors. He arrived at the game in New Orleans with little time to spare before kickoff. Scott’s sonorous sound filled a room but his sparse word-count couldn’t fill a closet. We’re hoping our next move, probably in the next year, will be a permanent move to a house. Far from it though. But his striking silence reinforced the need for a color commentator who could fill … It was the 7th game of the World Series." Until 1968, CBS assigned its NFL announcers to single teams. It fit the team, the town, and the whole Packer ethos perfectly; and on TV, where concise captions well delivered, fit the bill.” Was it the championship Packers? Author interview with Ray Scott, February 27, 1990. In 1988, Scott was one of several veteran announcers to call some September NFL telecasts for NBC, while many of the network's regular broadcasters were working at that year's Summer Olympics in Seoul. I've never forgotten that. “Somehow my name came up,” said Scott, “but to never have done baseball [except for the one game in 1957] turned out to be an insurmountable hurdle. In 1968, CBS ended its practice of assigning dedicated announcing crews to particular teams.